Computer Aided Facilities Management
What is facility management?
In simple terms, Facilities Management means coordination of assets,
people and infrastructure. People responsible for managing the facilities at strategic, tactical and operational level are called Facility Managers. The Facility Manager is responsible for ensuring the maintenance of regulatory compliance of the organization and informs the users in advance of the potential impact of their decisions with respect to provision of space, services and cost.
What is Computer Aided Facility management?
Using IT to perform automates or assist the task of Facility Managers comes under the context of Facility Management. The following activities can be managed by your CAFM software:
- Strategic Planning activities such as business operation planning and space requirement forecasting.
- Space planning activities such as allocation of space and inventory management.
- Human resource and maintenance management.
- Disaster planning and recovery management along with security management.
- Asset management and energy usage tracking or sustainability management.
Why should I use this software?
- If you are running a huge business with a lot of area, it is a prodigious task to determine whether your premise space is being used in an optimal manner. It is more challenging to determine what will be the future needs of your organization and how your current business operations may be affected while you try to make provisions for your future needs. CAFM software can simplify your task by analyzing space requirements, equipment locations, construction costs, environmental constraints and other critical factors and will provide visual data of what areas can be optimized.
- When you have several equipments installed: it is hard to keep track of their attributes manually like age, cost, life expectancy, warranty, and technology changes. CAFM can not only manage this data for you but also perform predictive data mining to determine what equipment is running out of life, and what provision the organization needs to make in advance in order to ensure unrestrained business operations.
- How much energy is being used in your organization on a daily basis, weekly and monthly basis? Is there a better way to conserve energy to save cost and increase sustainability of resources? These complex questions can be easily answered by CAFM.
- CAFM aids you in conducting different types of assessments like condition inspections, security vulnerabilities and risk assessments.
- Based on customer demands and business growth, CAFM can forecast space required by your organization for a given period of time in the future.
- CAFM allows you to reduce relocation activities due to changes in business demands.
- You can reduce your asset inventories and thereby reduce cost.
- Critical facilities in your organization are monitored 24x7 to determine instant action if some condition changes against your favor.
- Manual facility management is reactive in nature and facility managers take decisions only when the situation is going out of control but CAFM allows proactive facility management where all the parameters can be evaluated well in advance to decide the aptness of your decisions.
- Often, manual information is retained across multiple organizations resulting in data redundancy and increasing the data management cost, however, CAFM uses data standardization across all departments of the organization to combat redundancy.